Policy of Ajinomoto OmniChem on Safety, Health and Environment
Ajinomoto OmniChem continuously strives to supply a product with quality fully in accordance with the demands of the Customer and to be a reliable and consistent supplier of our services.
Because sustainable development is the only way to secure the future of our company we must, in all our activities, take into consideration the possible impact on our health and safety. It is also our duty to manufacture our products in harmony with the environment and especially our immediate neighborhood.
The Management of Ajinomoto OmniChem is committed to:
- To continuously endeavor to guarantee safe and health working conditions for our staff and third parties.
- To strive to comply with all legal regulations related to safety, health and the environment.
- To conduct our processes in an environmentally conscientious way including consideration of the choice of starting materials, process aides, process chemistries, process efficiencies and waste generation.
- To realize this by the investigation and application of the best available technology.
- We strive to continuously improve our performance in the respect of safety, health and environment. For this purpose, targets are established and reviewed annually. These targets are determined by the management taking into consideration not only the vision of our staff and of the environment but also of our customers, the government and the group policies of our parent company Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
In the context of this policy we can define the key points as follows:
- Health – Limit the exposure to hazardous substances in such a way that our staff members will not be affected now or later.
- Control of chemical processes – Take all necessary precautions for chemical processes to avoid serious incidents.
- Environmental care – To develop and maintain an environmental care system which corresponds to internationally accepted and recognized standards.
- Incidents – Continuously reduce risks in order to further minimize the frequency and seriousness of work accidents.
- Air emissions – To minimize the emissions to comply with the applicable standards under all circumstances.
- Water – To limit water consumption and to limit the wastewater outfall to comply with the applicable standards under all circumstances.
- Energy consumption – Efficient production and good control of our installations.
To realize this policy, the contribution of all staff members is essential.
Therefore, this policy is distributed across our whole organization and everybody is requested to contribute with his/her positive cooperation. Responsibilities will be defined to realize these targets. The management will do whatever necessary to provide the means and to ensure necessary follow-up.
This policy is available to the public, upon request.
Considering the external and internal environment, as well as the scale of impact that Ajinomoto OmniChem could potentially impose on the environment, our most important environmental objectives are focused on:
- Reduction of greenhouse gas
Ajinomoto OmniChem voluntarily joined the Energy Policy Covenant and is thereby committed to apply all Energy Use Reduction measures using Best Available Technology of the energy plan originating from the energy audits by independent certified experts.
We are committed to maintain and further develop the ISO14001 and ISO50001 based Energy Management System that we have set up in 2017.
- Conservation of water resources
Groundwater and potable water are considered as a valuable natural resource, which will suffer shortages in several parts of the world. Because of this public interest and social importance Ajinomoto OmniChem focuses on efficient water use.
We are committed to keep water use as efficient as possible by preventing increase of specific water use and search for reduction opportunities when investing in new equipment.
- Waste prevention and efficient material use
Pharmaceutical production processes require an extremely high quality standard and have very strict limitations on internal reuse of materials. For Ajinomoto OmniChem a sustainable production means preventing waste by applying the most efficient high-yield processes and maximal external re-use of waste materials.
Only inert materials which have no other possible use are allowed to go to waste deposit. About 60 % of the waste solvents, our main waste stream, are used as a new raw material in industry processes. The remaining part is incinerated with energy recovery. Our objective is to maintain these high recycling and re-use percentages.